Carolyn Fleg: Biography
I discovered the Feldenkrais Method in 2008 through dance and was fascinated with what it taught me about my dancing, myself, how I learn, my relationships, and the world. When first introduced to the method, I felt better and different afterwards. And I thought, “something important is happening here, but what is it?” This combination hooked me and continues to keep me coming back. Feldenkrais gives me new ways to move that are easier and more beautiful and freer from pain. It’s also given me unexpected access to myself and my abilities, curiosity and creativity. My Feldenkrais training was in San Francisco with Julie Casson Rubin, Paul Rubin, Deborah Bowes, Cliff Smyth, and Dennis Leri.
I taught English at Santa Barbara City College for twelve years before I moved to San Francisco in 2007. Before that I’d taught at an International School, which focused on teaching English to students from around the world. There I met people of varying ages, many of whom were venturing from their home countries for the first time. I learned too, as they learned from me.
I continue to enjoy learning, and meeting and working with a wide variety of people, and I enjoy sharing the Feldenkrais Method with those I work with. Because of my background in the arts and my experience with Feldenkrais as a way to access creativity, I find it beneficial and pleasurable to do and teach Awareness Through Movement before other creative activities.
Education and Training
• Feldenkrais Professional Training Program, Institute for Somatic Studies, San Francisco, 2011
• Fundamentals of Advanced Ericksonian Hypnotherapy, The Milton H. Erickson Institute of the Bay Area, 2010
• MA in English with an Emphasis in Creative Writing, Sonoma State University, 1993
• BA in English, UCSB, College of Creative Studies, 1989
• Ongoing public class at ODC School of Dance
• Substitute teacher at the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco (through FCMA).
• Workshops for seniors at The Beverly Hills Carmel Retirement Hotel in Beverly Hills. Topics included Balance In Standing & Walking and Comfortable Sitting
• Workshops at City Pulse Acupuncture in San Francisco: Topics included Greater Ease & Comfort in the Legs and Power in the Arms from Below.
- Co-editor of Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais’ The San Francisco Training Transcripts and Audio Files, published by the International Feldenkrais Federation
- Presentation on the Feldenkrais Method at the College of Creative Studies, UCSB, 2015
- Lecturer, Basic Composition and English Essentials, SBCC, Santa Barbara 1995-2007
- Instructor, Basic Composition, Literature, ES International School, Santa Barbara, 1993-1997
- Editor, Daniel & Daniel Publishers 1995-present