Marcia Scott: Biography
I found the Feldenkrais Method® of Somatic Education during my long search to recover from a dance injury. Of all of the conventional and non-conventional approaches I explored, Feldenkrais was the one that most enabled me to feel and understand what it was I was doing and what I could do differently. It is a very rewarding practice.
Continually intrigued by human movement – ts sources and its potential – I enjoy sharing my knowledge with people. You’ll learn how to observe more clearly and how to approach obstacles with less force and more perceptive questions. By simply learning to attend to how we move, our movement can become more restorative, expressive, and pleasurable. I have a deep enthusiasm for this process and hope to encourage you in a creative engagement with your movement and yourself.
Among the places I have taught are the Somatic Wellness program at The Women’s Building in San Francisco’s Mission District, Stanford University, and physical therapy offices. I currently teach at Kahn Arts in Sausalito, the Feldenkrais Center for Movement and Awareness, Kaiser Health Education, and Poto.
I’ve studied science, music, and dance at the University of California, San Diego; at community colleges, I’ve furthered my education with classes in a variety of subjects, including anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, and child development. Shortly after graduating from UCSD, I and composer Erik Ulman co-founded Poto, an organization dedicated to the gathering of contemporary artists for conversation, exchange, and renewal in Grass Valley, CA.
I grew up in a small town in the sierra foothills (just outside of Grass Valley) playing hard in the great outdoors with family and friends. Although I don’t play as hard as I used to, I still enjoy wake-surfing and horseback-riding and can often be found roaming, reposing, dancing, and rejoicing in both the wild and the domesticated landscapes of Northern California.
Education and Training
● Feldenkrais Professional Training Program, Institute for the Study of Somatic Education.
● Support Staff at Feldenkrais Professional Training Program, Semiophysics.
● B.A. from the University of California, San Diego, with a major in Music Composition.
● Master Practitioner courses at the Mind-Body Studies Academy.
● Organs, and Bones and Ligaments courses through Body-Mind Centering.
● Anatomy, physiology, chemistry, physics, child-development, and french classes at City College, San Francisco; intro to kinesiology at Stanford University; kinesiology, biology, film and video, and german courses at Foothill Community College and San Francisco State University.
● My mentors and teachers: Karen Zindars, Deborah Bowes, Cliff Smyth, Paul Rubin, Julie Casson-Rubin, Dennis Leri, Jeff Haller, Mia Segal, Augusta Moore (+ ballet), and Margit Galanter (+ QiGong, improvisational dance).