by Dr Moshe Feldenkrais
For those of you who would like to read more of Moshe Feldenkrais
ideas - here are the titles of his books:
Through Movement: Health Exercises For Personal Growth, Harper
San Francisco/Harper and Row, NY, 1972 and 1977.
The Case of Nora: Adventures in the Jungle of the Brain, Harper
and Row, San Francisco, 1977. Reprinted Feldenkrais Resources, Berkeley
CA, 1994, as Body Awareness as Healing Therapy: The Case of Nora.
The Elusive Obvious, Meta Publications, Cupertino CA, 1981.
The Master Moves, Meta Publications, Cupertino, CA, 1984.
The Potent Self: A Guide to Spontaneity, Harper and Row,
San Francisco, 1985; republished as The Potent Self: A Study of Spontaneity and Compulsion, with a new Foreword by Mark Reese, Somatic Resources/Frog Ltd, Berkeley, CA, 2002.
Body and Mature Behavior: A Study of Anxiety, Sex, Gravitation & Learning, International Univeristies Press, New York, 1949, reprinted Alef Ltd, Tel-Aviv, Israel, 1983. Republished with a new Foreword by Carl Ginsburg, Somatic Resources/Frog Ltd, Berkeley, CA, 2005.
Books by Feldenkrais Teachers
Here are some publications by Feldenkrais teachers that may be of interest:
Heals: The Feldenkrais Method for Dynamic Health, Steven Shafarman,
Addison and Wesley Publishing, Reading, MA, 1997.
Skiing with the Whole Body: Your Ticket to the Expert Slopes, Jack Heggie, North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, California, 1993.
- A good introduction to the Method. Steven Shafarman traces the
history of how the Method was developed by Moshe Feldenkrais and some
of the principal ideas. Along the way you hear interesting stories
of Dr Feldenkrais and his approach to life, thinking and moving. Includes
six basic Awareness Through Movement lessons you can do yourself.
Mindful Spontaneity: Moving in Tune with Nature, Lessons in the
Feldenkrais Method, Ruthy Alon, North Atlantic Books, Berkeley,
- One of Moshes first assistants, Ruthy explores movement in
our lives. Includes a series of Awareness Though Movement lessons
focusing on self-care for the spine.
Relaxercise, David Zemach-Bersin, Kathe Zemach-Bersin, Mark
Reese, Harper and Row, San Francisco, 1990.
- A series of simple and effective lessons, based on Awareness Through
Movement lessons, that you can follow from the book or get
the accompanying tapes.
Running with the Whole Body: A 30-day Program to Running Faster
with Less Effort, Jack Heggie, Rodale Press, Emmaus, Pennsylvania,
- Using Feldenkrais to run better through running smarter.
- The late Jack Heggie combines his experience and knowledge of skiing and Feldenkrais Method in this program.
Reawakening the Mind's Control of Movement, Flexibility and Health,
Thomas Hanna, Addison-Wesley Publishing, Reading MA, 1988.
- The late Thomas Hanna coined the term somatics and edited
the journal of the same name for many years. Includes explorations
of our habitual use of ourselves and Awareness Through Movement lessons
to follow from the book.
Transforming Body Image: Learning to Love the Body You Have,
Dr Marcia Germaine Hutchinson, The Crossing Press, Freedom CA,
- Dr Hutchinson draws heavily on Feldenkrais Method in this book of
theory and practical exercises about women and body image.
The Insomnia Solution:
the Natural, Drug-Free Way to a Good Night's Sleep,
Michael Krugman, Warner Books, New York, 2005.
- Drawing on insights and techniques from the Feldenkrais Method, Michael Krugman has devised his system of helping us sleep better.
What Are You Afraid Of?:
A Body/Mind Guide to Courageous Living,
Lavinia Plonka, Jeremy P. Tarcher/Penguin, New York, 2004.
- Dancer, choreographer and Feldenkrais teacher, Livinia Plonka, takes you on a journey exploring how we experince fear and anxiety in our bodies and our lives, and things we can do to help free us from fear.
Return to Information and Resources page.
Return to Home page.